For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Bekijk de site in het nederlands

FAQ Law programmes

On this page you'll find frequently asked questions about the admission procedure at the Amsterdam Law School of the University of Amsterdam.

Frequently asked questions relating to the corona situation

  • What are the consequences of the corona situation for studying in 2021-2022?

    We understand that you may have concerns about how the corona pandemic will affect future studies. Our starting point is that in the academic year 2021-2022 we will be able to offer all teaching activities on campus without restrictions. We are eager to return to the campus, to face-to-face teaching and meeting up with each other. All degree seeking students (including international ones) are therefore expected to come to Amsterdam by the start of the academic year 2021-2022.

    Assuming we can teach on campus, we do not offer the option of following our education via distance learning. It goes without saying that we are dependent on the developments regarding the coronavirus and what the policies and rules of the Dutch government will be. If the situation calls for it, we should return to a scenario of (partially) online education. As soon as more information is available, we will post it on our website.


    The above applies to the track International and Transnational Criminal Law in the Master's programme International Criminal Law. This is a full year at UvA.

    Please note: for the Master's track International Criminal Law – Joint Programme, which we organize together with Columbia Law School, specific solutions will be sought, should there be restrictions on travel to Amsterdam and/or New York which affect the exchange. Keep an eye on this page.

  • Due to COVID-19 my university has been closed down. I am unable to send all the required certified documents for my application. What options do I have?

    We are aware that due to COVID-19 universities have been closed down or have limited their activities. However, we do need the required documents that are mentioned in your conditional admission letter.

    The certified copies of diplomas and transcripts can be sent through postal mail. If you are not able to provide us with certified copies by post, we will allow documents to be sent digitally. The documents must be sent directly by the issuing school/university and can be sent to: Please make sure that your name, your UvA ID (student number) and your study programme are mentioned in the email.

    The deadline for sending your documents is stated in your conditional admissions letter.

    Please note that a check for email spoofing will be part of our verification procedure. In case we do not trust the email that has been sent to us we may contact the university or we will ask for certified copies by postal mail after all.

  • If applicable, submit a request for admission with study delay

    Have you suffered a study delay in your current Bachelor’s programme over the past year? Subject to strict conditions, you can submit a request for admission with study delay as of 1 July 2021.

    You are eligible to submit a request for admission with study delay when:

    • You have a study delay up to a maximum of 15 EC within your Bachelor’s programme provided the courses and exams and/or resits took place in academic year 2020-2021.
    • You have finished your Bachelor’s thesis (or a comparable final assignment).
    • You are enrolled in a Bachelor’s programme at a university located in the Netherlands or in the EU/EEA.
    • You have applied for the Master’s programme in Studielink and have submitted your application form before the application deadline.

    You need to complete the pending Bachelor’s courses during the academic year 2021-2022. Therefore, do not forget to re-enrol in your current Bachelor’s programme. Please take into consideration which consequences this might have for your study load. We will not be held responsible for any conflicting schedules between the two programmes.

    Submit a request (as of 1 July and before 1 September 2021) 

    You will need to submit a request for admission with study delay via this form. Please make sure to submit your request before 1 September 2021.

    When submitting the request, you will be requested to upload the following documents:

    • A transcript.
    • A statement from your current university stating that your study delay of maximum 15 EC concerns courses/exams that were taking place in academic year 2020-2021 and that your Bachelor’s thesis (or a comparable final assignment) has been finished.
    • A statement from your university confirming that the Bachelor’s programme can be completed remotely within the academic year 2021-2022 (for students from outside the Netherlands only).

    This regulation applies to applicants who want to start their Master’s programme at the Amsterdam Law School in September 2021 and are enrolled in a Bachelor’s at the UvA in 2020-2021, or in a Bachelor’s programme at another university in the Netherlands or in the EU/EEA. 

Other questions about admission

  • How do I pay the application fee for non-EEA students?

    Applicants with a non-EEA nationality are required to pay an administrative fee of € 100 after submitting their application form in MyInfo. If you do not pay the fee, your application form cannot be submitted. The application fee will be reimbursed to those students who successfully enroll at the Amsterdam Law School.

  • What address should I send the application documents to?

    You can upload your documents in the application form. You will also have to submit hard copies of the certified documents (Bachelor’s diploma and grade transcript). You can send the documents to one of the following addresses:

    For regular post:
    Admissions Office of the Amsterdam Law School (room 6.01a)
    Post Office Box 1030
    1000 BA Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

    For registered post:
    Admissions Office of the Amsterdam Law School (room 6.01a)
    Valckenierstraat 59
    1018 XE Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

  • What is a certified copy?

    A certified copy does NOT mean a plain photocopy. A certified copy is a duplicate verified to be a true and faithful copy of the original. The document should be certified with an original stamp and signature by an authorized signatory such as a university official or a notary. These certified documents are necessary for the Admission Office to verify that you indeed graduated from your school. Please note: a copy of the certified copy is no longer a certified copy!

    >> Watch the explainer video on YouTube

  • Can the English language proficiency test be waived?

    The following students are exempted from English language proficiency test:

    • Students who have received their prior education in one of the following countries: The Netherlands, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States;
    • Students who have completed an university English-language legal study programme (such as a Bachelor’s degree) and received a degree certificate attesting to this;
    • Students who have completed the bachelor’s programme Liberal Arts & Sciences, PPLE, European Studies or International Relations with a major in Law;
    • Students who hold an international or European Baccalaureate diploma (with English as the language of instruction).
    • Students who have a sufficient mark (6 or higher) for English on their Dutch vwo diploma or possess a vwo certificate in English.
    • Students who have received their prior education in the Netherlands.
  • Are there any special provisions available for students with disabilities?

    Do you have a chronic disorder that could obstruct your ability to take part in the curriculum? The University of Amsterdam offers various types of support and counseling to be able to offer you the best possible study time, thus helping prevent study delays. Please note: the regulations and arrangements of the University of Amsterdam could be different from the ones of your home University. You do not automatically have the same rights here.

  • How can I apply for UvA housing?

    Please indicate in your application form that you are interested in housing. Only students who are fully admitted to a master’s programme can apply for student accommodation. If you are fully admitted before the housing deadline, the UvA’s Housing Office will provide you with an application form for student accommodation. Please note: student housing is never guaranteed.

  • How do I finalize my enrolment at the UvA?

    Once you have been admitted to a Master’s programme at the Amsterdam Law School, you will receive information by email from the Central Student Service Desk on how to complete your registration and, if applicable, how to apply for a visa or residence permit.