Making Media: Production, Practices and Professions
NEW OUC: Learn about the key features of the Dutch and global media industries, with specific reference to journalism, social media, advertising, film, television, games and software, and the music and recording industry.
Review of the key readings and debates in media industries and production research, with a specific focus on:
- history of media industries and professions;
- production studies;
- media management;
- professional cultures and identities;
- the business of culture and media economics;
- industries: journalism, social media, advertising, film, television, games and software, and the music and recording industry;
- contemporary and future developments: global production networks, the networked enterprise, startup culture, the role of (big) data/algorithms/automatization.
Date, time, location and price
- Date: 5 February - 22 March 2018
- Time: Mondays and Fridays 17:00 - 19:00
- Number of lectures: 14
- Location: Oudemanhuispoort, room D1.08 (Mondays) and D0.08 (Fridays)
- Price: 180 / 162 (discount price for AUV-members)
Disclaimer: For the current timetable always consult the UvA timetable website. The Illustere School is not responsible for changes in the timetable.
- Scholarly journal articles and book chapters available digitally via Blackboard and the UvA library online.
|Course type||Open UvA-Course|
|Semester/block||Semester 2, block 1|
|Other||You may only attend the lectures, not the seminars or other extras. It is not possible to partake in exams or obtain credits.|
|Deadline registration||29 January 2018 (subject to availability)|
To register for this course you need to create an Illustere School account. If you already have an account, please use your existing account to register for the course. For both options, click the button below.
Directly after signing up for a course you receive confirmation of your registration by e-mail.
The tuition fee will be automatically deducted from your bank account. Registration for an Open UvA-Course for UvA employees is free. They follow a different procedure.
Blackboard is the digital learning environment of the University of Amsterdam and is used by all teachers and (regular) students of the UvA. Illustere School students may also use Blackboard. Your personal codes will be send to you by email.