Call for Papers Cleaning Modern Oil Paints
Conference in Amsterdam 23–25 May 2018
The call for papers for the CMOP conference is out. Application deadline 15 January 2018.
The focus of the conference will be on recent research and emerging practice in the conservation of sensitive contemporary oil paint surfaces and the condition of oil paintings seen from various perspectives. The conference aims to address a wider public of conservators from all fields including e.g. painting, sculpture, paper, as well as researchers, artists, conservators, paint manufactures and other interested practitioners. A particular focus will be on the practice of conservation and how knowledge is transferred from conservators to researchers and vice versa.
Call for Papers
Abstracts for oral presentations and posters can be on subjects such as:
- cultural historical context of use of oil paint in the 20th Century
- developments in artists’ oil paint technology; paint manufacturers; patents
- characterization of modern-contemporary oil paints and paint surfaces
- paint degradation and long term stability
- the artists’ voice and influence on perception of curators, conservators and scientists
- approaches to conservation and display
- conservation of oil paintings; practical surface treatment
The abstracts will be distributed to the participants at the conference. Presenters will be asked to submit a paper to be published in the postprints of this conference.
Application deadline 15 January 2018.
The University of Amsterdam is project partner through the department Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage. Prof. Klaas Jan van den Berg is one of the prinicipal investigators, alongside project partners Prof. Ella Hendriks and Assistant Professor Maartje Stols for CMOP PhD candidate Lise Steyn.
CMOP is a Joint Programme Initiative Heritage Plus EU project partly funded by EU/H2020, partly by NWO, AHRC and MIUR.